Posted-on October 2019 By Amy Bates
What's the right path for you?
Functional Expert: Make your mark based on your specialised skills and expertise.
Middle Management: Take charge of how your organisation gets things done.
Senior Management: Provide the vision and direction for your organisation.
What's your next move?
Internal Promotion: Take on an upward role to increase your responsibility, or a lateral move to expand your skills.
Target Company or Industry: Go after that dream employer who can provide the experience and opportunity you seek.
Target Location: Gain regional or international experience to prepare yourself for bigger things.
What's your Strategy?
PLAN YOUR TIMING
• Prepare to transition 6-12 months ahead of time.
• Update your resume and LinkedIn profile.
• Close any knowledge gaps.
• Keep up with emerging trends in your industry.
• Build a portfolio of your accomplishments.
FIND A MENTOR
• Learn intricacies of executive success.
• Share ideas and strategies.
• Meet the right people.
• Avoid potential land mines.
• Study successful leaders.
• Research target industry.
BUILD YOUR NETWORK
• Attend networking events.
• Connect on social media.
• Partner with a recruiter.
• Gather advocates and influencers.
• Join or form a mastermind group.
INCREASE YOUR VISIBILITY
• Stand out in your current role.
• Understand your differentiators
• Showcase your value.
• Let your goals be known.
• Express interest inadvancing within the company.
• Volunteer for high profile projects.
• Serve on an advisory board.
ENGAGE AN EXECUTIVE RECRUITER
• Choose a recruiter who understands your industry.
• Top jobs are often filled through recruiters.
• Begin the relationship before you need them.
• Share your goals and interests.
• Update them on career successes.
• Discuss market changes.
• Identify Impact Player-level opportunities.
HIT THE GROUND RUNNING
• Don’t underestimate the difficulty of your new role.
• Draft a 90-day, six month and one-year plan.
• Detail the steps you would take to reach your objectives.
• Raise confidence in your abilities with early wins.